Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Psalm 13

Psalm 13

Some days things just don’t go well. Some days it feels like everyone is picking on you and nothing is going right. Have you ever felt that way? On those days it can be hard to talk to God.
Take a look at what Psalm 13:1-2 says:
1 How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
   How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
   and day after day have sorrow in my heart?

   How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Did you know stuff like that was in the Bible? The writer of this psalm is pouring out his heart to God. He actually dares to question God. Have you ever felt that way? Maybe some days you wonder if God is around. Some days it might seem that God has forgotten you. Some days you wonder how long you’ll have to feel this way.
Now read what Psalm 13:3-4 says:
3 Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
   Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
4 and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
   and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
Wow! Again the writer is saying how bad his life is. His enemies are winning, and he is losing—and his enemies are happy that he’s losing!.
So things seem pretty bad. Where does the writer go from there? Read Psalm 13:5-6:
5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
   my heart rejoices in your salvation
.
6 I will sing the Lord’s praise,
   for he has been good to me.
That’s quite a change from the beginning of the psalm. Even though the writer is feeling like God has forgotten him, he realizes that he still trusts God. Plus, he is going to sing praise to God because he realizes that God has been good to him. That’s pretty great. I wonder if we can do that too?

This is by far one of my favorite chapters in the bible that I have ever encountered and go back to it quite frequently. Life is not always easy. In fact, it  seems as though there are more bad days than good...especially true for me at this point and time. I look at my current situation or situations and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. In the end, God is the one who is in control and I am just along for the ride. I have encountered many difficult situations in my life and have made it through them all because God is good...All the time and All the time...God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment