Monday, November 3, 2014

unplugged

23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. 1 Corinthians 10:23 (NIV)

Let's take a moment to evaluate where or what gets most of our time. This is what my day/time is committed to. I clean the house, I work at the schools, I help and volunteer at the church working with the youth and singing in the choir, I take photos for people which then leads me to editing pictures, I walk the dogs and exercise, I am a loving wife to my husband. All of these things are good noble things and I am sure there are many of you that can add to your list that you are not only a wife but a mother which leads to a whole other slew of items that vie for your time. There are times in my week when I leave the house at 7:30 in the morning and don't come home until 8:00 or later at night between working and all the other commitments I have. I'm not complaining I'm just stating a fact. And even though a large portion of my day (usually) is spent with someone (usually kids) I feel disconnected. I feel like I don't know what is going on. See in addition to the "job titles" I mentioned, I am also a friend but with everything else going on I don't get stop in and say hi or connect with them. That is where technology comes in. I have facebook, instagram and pintrest just to name a few things. I can see what my friends who I knew from college 6 yrs ago are doing just by logging into facebook. I can see the pictures of their kids and feel like I know what is going on in their lives. Most of these people I rarely talk to in person...but I know what they are doing. My phone is usually set on vibrate since I am in a school setting and as soon as it makes a noise I jump up and as soon as I'm able I check to make sure I have not missed anything "important."

I love technology. I have several electronic devices including ones that are barely even touched due to the fact that I am busy doing something "important."  I must confess something...did you notice that in all the tasks I "have to do", there was one major one missing...spending time alone with God?

I know that this is an important thing to do and I have the best of intentions...after all, it is the thought that counts right? I say things like I know God I'll get to my quiet time after I have done the other 500 things on my to do list. I have to admit that even sometimes my quiet time alone with God consists of reading a quick devotion on line. Sometimes I even let my daily bible verse that pops up on my phone "count" as spending time in the word. I mean after all, sometimes that is all I have time for.

I just came back from a women's retreat. It was a great time to get away. We could have our phones and most people (myself included) had them. I must admit (proudly) that Sat. I hardly looked at my phone. I did call my husband at night to tell him I loved him and to remind him to feed the fish, and set back the clocks but really that was it. I was actually getting a little upset when I would hear peoples phones go off or make some sort of noise. Here we are at a retreat, a time to get away, at a beautiful location and people keep looking at their phones? But I must admit Sunday I was not so good. I had my phone on silent so as to not disturb others, however I texted with someone regarding taking senior pictures.

I love to watch T.V. and there was no T.V at the retreat.  I also love playing games on my ipad and while I could have brought my Ipad, I didn't, several people did, but I was not one of them. I left for the retreat Sat. morning and came back Sunday late afternoon, the retreat was done at 1 but I had scheduled pictures shortly after the event.  I just couldn't stay away from being busy. In my defense I had rested for a day and a half. I got home and realized other than my dogs, cats, and husband (not necessarily in that order), what I missed the most, was my rocking chair. I didn't miss the junk I "missed out on" by not watching my favorite t.v shows, the news or any other program, I didn't miss playing games on the ipad alone, and I didn't miss the need to jump every time MY phone made a noise. I was somewhat unplugged this weekend. Notice I said somewhat. I did have my phone.

Let's look back at the verse. It says 23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive." There is no harm in doing things that include technology. What you have to ask yourself is this, is what I am doing beneficial or constructive? 
Muslims stop what they are doing 5 times a day to pray to their god. in our society, we find this a bit odd but, we stop what we are doing at least 5 times a day to check email, facebook, or twitter. How is that any different? What if we took the times we checked our "connections" and connected to God? When I take a moment to stop and look at what controls or gets most of my time, it is obvious where my true devotion lies, and sadly that is not with God.  

I want to take one day a week (probably Sunday) and unplug from the social world. I want to not be on my phone, computer, or ipad. I want to dedicate the day to spending time in the word with God, praying and having real conversations with Him. I will probably use Sunday but you can use any day you want. Sunday is what will work best for me as I have to use technology in my jobs and I don't want to make legalistic rules for my quiet time. I will let family and friends know that I will not be able to be reached during this time and why. I will not schedule commitments such as scentsy parties or photos. I want the majority of the day to be dedicated to diving into God's word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment